Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Be Thankful For LIfe's Many Blessings



Thanksgiving is a time for reflection for the many blessings in our life that we are thankful for.  One of the things I am most thankful for is my work with United Way.  Every day at United Way we witness the needs of our community.  I don’t mean the needs on paper – I mean looking in their eyes and listening to their story, needs of our community.  Families living with no heat, water or electricity, children who are hungry, individuals who are homeless.  I have always believed that everyone crosses my path for a reason, you just have to look for the reason that your path has crossed.  So here are three lessons I have learned this year. 
Be grateful for the little things.  Did your lights turn on when you flipped the switch?  Did you have a warm bed to lay your head last night?  Be grateful, more people than you think in this community want for the most basic necessities.  Somewhere in Marshfield someone is praying for things that we take for granted every day. 

People are amazingly resilient. Some of the things I have witnessed this year and stories that I have heard are enough to make me want to crawl into bed, pull the covers over my head and stay there.  I don’t know that I could keep going through some of the challenges that some of the individuals we have served this year are facing.  These individuals suffer blow after blow, but yet stand in front of me saying I am not a quitter.  If life is not challenging you today, be grateful.

Lastly, we live in a community that truly has amazing and caring individuals.  The work that we do at United Way and through our Partner Programs only happens because of donations and volunteers.  Through gifts of time and treasure we have the resources to help the neediest of our community.  When we are able to put a warm coat on a child on a cold and blustery day, or provide a child with food for the weekend, I am so incredibly grateful for all of the individuals who believe in their community and the work that we do here at United Way.  The United Way campaign is currently underway.  If you haven’t made a contribution yet this year, please consider doing so.  Our community would be so thankful.

Paula Jero, Executive Director
Marshfield Area United Way

No comments: