Monday, October 21, 2013

Actions Speak Louder Than Words



A while back, our office decided to order Chinese food for lunch. My favorite part about eating a meal from a Chinese restaurant is the fortune cookie at the end. I, myself, try to always “pick” my fortune from the pile before the last fortune is left to me by process of elimination. The fortune I picked that day is still hanging in my office as a constant reminder. The fortune reads, “The smallest deed is better than the greatest intention.” This “fortune” has really affected me, because it is so true. I feel often, in life, we have many great intentions (whatever they may be) that we actually never act upon.

Time seems to be something that we all feel we never have enough and so we find it difficult to give up the time we do have for ourselves to help others. I will be the first to admit that this has been my mindset (excuse) for not acting on some of my greatest intentions. But, once you take the time to help someone else you realize how great it makes you feel, and you may also realize you have more free time than you originally thought.

VolunteerMarshfield.org is a one-stop volunteer opportunity shopping site. Numerous organizations and groups in Marshfield have posted a wide-variety of volunteer opportunities. These opportunities range from asking an hour of your time to opportunities that are on-going over a longer period of time.

My advice to you is to start acting on your greatest intentions and find out how giving just a bit of your time can make such a difference in our community and, more importantly, in your life. Find an organization or a cause you are passionate about; or offer a skill you have that could be beneficial to someone or some organization. Whatever it is, just decide to act.

Next Saturday, October 26, 2013, is National Make A Difference Day. Every year, Marshfield Area United Way organizes volunteers to help rake lawns for local residents whom are physically unable to do so themselves. This is a simple way to give back to our great community in just a few short hours. All it takes is a little bit of muscle and a lot of heart. Please visit VolunteerMarshfield.org and click on “MADD Sign-up” for more information and to register to help for a few hours on this day.

No comments: